Family law covers multiple issues, all of which are related to the family group. Divorce and marriage dissolutions, child custody battles, paternity suits, and domestic abuse are just some of the issues our family law attorneys in Orange County are equipped to handle.
Family law is one of the most sensitive legal areas because it is almost impossible to prevent strong emotions from coming into play. As families develop and change, tension often develops which can, in turn, lead to heated situations and tender feelings. When what we’ve held close and dear starts slipping away, so does our ability to control our reactions. In order to make good decisions in these situations, it is of paramount importance that the parties involved keep a cool head so that the best settlement can be reached. A skilled Orange County family law attorney from The Goldberg Legal Group can help reduce unnecessary conflict by serving as a mediator who is emotionally distant from the situation.
Reasons You May Need a Family Law Attorney
No matter how simple or complicated the family issues with which you are dealing may seem, it is highly recommended you work closely with a qualified and skilled family law attorney. Conflicts and disputes can come up for any number of reasons in family cases, and you want to have a lawyer who can prepare you for all possibilities. The following are areas of practice that may require legal assistance:
- Divorce. Working through the legal aspects of marriage dissolution can be complex, time-consuming, and emotionally draining. Having a family law attorney who is skilled in the area of divorce is pertinent to making sure the outcome is favorable to you. An attorney can help you understand the rights and responsibilities you have in divorce proceedings while providing you with the support you need at that time.
- Child Custody. Child custody cases can be very emotional for everyone involved. Having a family attorney allows someone to be present with a more objective point of view. They can encourage constructive custody discussions and advocate for you and your child’s best interest. In addition, a family lawyer can be a great guide for coming up with a parenting time plan that includes all the necessary aspects for a custody agreement.
- Child Support. Whether you are divorced, separated, or just not in a relationship with your child’s noncustodial parent, you may want to go the legal route of seeking child support. Often, in these cases, there is a lot to consider regarding the involved parties’ finances and the needs of the child. A lawyer can assist in obtaining all necessary financial information of the noncustodial parent, including their income and regular expenses, to make sure the amount of support is fair.
- Spousal Support/Alimony. No matter which side of spousal support you are on, giving or receiving, you want to make sure the amount is fair based on the circumstances presented by the case. Having a lawyer allows you to come to a resolution that suits your and your spouse’s circumstances.
- Domestic Violence. There are not only important legal aspects with domestic violence but also concerns about safety. Survivors of domestic violence will benefit from having a skilled attorney on their side to offer support and ensure that all legal and protective actions are taken, such as a restraining order. Additionally, if there are any criminal charges, a lawyer can assist with compiling evidence and presenting a strong case.
- Restraining Orders. To get a restraining order against someone, you may need evidence to show that the person is capable of causing harm to you or your child. A family lawyer can guide you through the process of obtaining the order and ensure that you are prepared for any necessary court hearings.
- Paternity. Paternity issues can be a difficult process to go through alone. Whether you are trying to establish paternity or contest paternity, it can be hard to understand what steps to take. If evidence of paternity is needed for child support or custody or to contest a paternity claim, an attorney can assist in obtaining such evidence to present in family court. This can be a sensitive issue to deal with, and when there are so many emotions involved, a lawyer can provide a neutral ground.
- Complex Property Divisions. During a divorce, dividing property is one of the more complicated facets of the process. This is made even more so when there is a substantial amount of property and assets between two spouses. A lawyer can fully investigate the finances of your marriage, handle negotiations, and settle things in your favor. They are especially helpful if there is a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement involved.
Choosing the Right Family Law Attorney for You
One important factor you will want to keep in mind when picking an attorney is how much experience they have. A lawyer with a lot of experience in your area of family law will have a considerable amount of knowledge regarding case procedures and possible conflicts. They can be proactive in dealing with any complications before they happen. By having an experienced attorney, you can be confident that the person handling your case is capable of getting results that are in your interest.
An attorney’s ability to communicate is also key in serving clients. You want to make sure your lawyer can answer all of your questions in a way that is clear to you, be responsive, and ensure your understanding of all aspects of your case. You do not want to be left in the dark about anything concerning you or your family. The more you understand about your case, the more capable you will be of making good decisions for your family.
Another factor you will want to consider is the attorney’s availability in Orange County. If you need complete support from your attorney, you may want to pick one that has a lot of available time to dedicate to you and your case. It may make you feel more confident in their ability to help you. The amount of time and support your attorney gives to your case can have a significant impact on the outcome. You will want to be sure they have the time to advocate for you and protect your rights at every stage of your case.
Some other components to consider include:
- Cost and fees
- Previous case results
It is extremely important to choose a family law attorney that is right for you and your family situation. The right attorney can make a huge difference in your personal experience both during and following the outcome of the case.
What to Expect From Your Family Law Attorney
During your initial meeting with an attorney, you are likely to have questions. The initial consultation is where you present all the details of your case, ask your questions, and ultimately decide if that is the attorney you want to work with. The attorney may ask their own detailed questions about your case that you should be prepared to answer truthfully. Based on the details, the attorney may decide if they want to take your case.
If both of you choose to work with one another, the attorney may go forward with informing you of exactly what work will need to be completed, how long the process could potentially take, and possible outcomes and obstacles to expect. This consultation may also include details about all fees and billing for services. You can expect your attorney to provide you with full support and transparency during your case. Protecting your rights and interests, as well as advocating for you, will be their priority.
Orange County Family Law FAQs
Q: How Much Does a Family Lawyer Cost in CA?
A: A family lawyer in California can cost anywhere between $200 and $500 per hour or more in some cases. A lawyer’s fees will be dependent on how much experience they have handling cases like yours, how complicated your particular case is, the complexity of the case, and whether they expect to make the case to go to court. Many lawyers bill differently, and they may utilize a contingency fee, flat fee, hourly fee, or other fee for their services.
Q: Why Do You Need a Family Lawyer in California?
A: California has its own specific laws regarding family matters with which a family lawyer may be more familiar than you. In cases where you are dealing with complex family circumstances, like property division, having a lawyer who understands the laws of those circumstances can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. Moreover, an attorney can make sure all legal aspects are handled correctly, and your interests are protected.
Q: What Are the Roles of Family Lawyers in California?
A: A family lawyer in California can fulfill many roles for their clients. For instance, they can be legal guides, advisors, negotiators, mediators, advocates, or court representatives. There are a range of legal issues that may arise between family members, and a family lawyer can provide the necessary experience and support required for your circumstances.
Q: What Is Ex Parte in Orange County Family Law?
A: Ex Parte is a request to a family court judge for a temporary emergency order for emergency situations, such as the potential for property damage, the danger of harm to yourself or your child, or your co-parent potentially moving your child a certain distance without your or the court’s approval. To get an emergency order, you must already have an open family law case, or you must start one and then use that case number when filing the emergency order request.
Q: What If I Don’t Want to Go to Court?
A: It is completely possible for a family law matter to be handled outside of the court, but it is not always a one-sided decision. For many situations, such as those involving children or property, the most optimal way to avoid going to court is by coming to a mutual agreement. If both parties can agree on the terms of a negotiation or parenting plan, you may not have to go to court at all.
Get Assistance From an Experienced Orange County Family Law Attorney
In some situations, your family law issue might require conflict that is unavoidable. Our attorneys possess the skills to simultaneously pursue an aggressive representation campaign on your behalf in addition to continuing to reduce tension along the way. Walking this line is a difficult task and should only be entrusted to an experienced family law attorney.
Regardless of whether your specific case involves negotiation, mediation, or trial, you can trust our family law attorneys to represent Orange County including Irvine and Newport Beach families in order to help them reach the ultimate goal of resolving the situation. We do this by making complex issues simple and easy to understand, providing personalized attention to detail, and being compassionate and respectful. Contact one of our skilled attorneys at The Goldberg Legal Group for a consultation.